St Peter’s Berkhamsted
The Church of St Peter, Great Berkhamsted is an Anglican parish church with a rich 800-year history. Today it has a thriving congregation and hosts concerts and other cultural events in the town.
I undertook a complete rebuild of the church website and turned it around from a static “brochureware” site into a functioning parish community resource. I also set up & manage a Facebook page, for the church, to raise online engagement with parish news and events.
- an events calendar which reads live XML data off an Outlook calendar that is managed by the Parish Office
- integration with social media – the calendar automatically populates Facebook with timed reminders via RSS, and the Facebook page is embedded in the website
- upload of weekly newsletters and event leaflet PDFs
- responsive design so visitors can access parish information on a mobile phone
- extensive heritage section covering history, architecture, stained-glass windows and monuments in the church;
- an interactive diagram of the church offers a content-rich visitor orientation feature -— visitors can explore the memorials and architectural features using a smartphone, as they walk around the building.