BBC Technology Operations
The BBC Technology Operations department provided a wide range of production resources to BBC staff around the UK, including cameras, audio equipment and editing facilities. It was formed to rationalise duplicated services around the BBC and bring them under one centralised resource.
I led the design & development of a new online resource on the staff intranet to provide easy access to these services in response to user needs:
- production equipment booking system for a number of BBC sites around the UK
- a library of manuals & production guides
- rapid access to support & training
- an online “wizard” for accessing format transfer services (archive tape to digital edit & broadcast)
- directory of edit suite facilities
I introduced a user-driven access interface using an interactive map for geographic services and a wayfinding interaction to direct users to departmental-specific services (e.g. News journalists or Radio production).
Having previously worked for BBC Radio Resources, I was familiar with many the departments involved in this project.